01 March 2011

February Favourites (Monthly favs #2)

Fabulous February? Well, February has been kind of a slow month for me, I'm not quite sure why.
I've struggled quite a bit this months. There's been a lot on my mind. As always I've been busy with my research for my Masters-thesis, I've been in Switzerland for the past two weeks and I've been debating with myself whether to continue this blog or not (due to time-issues and low self-esteem).

According to Goodreads I've read 13 books during these four week. So here are my favourite books I've read during February 2011:

The Fever-series by Karen Marie Moning

In the beginning of February I started to read the Fever-series by Karen Marie Moning. Once started I couldn't stop. I'm so glad that I had all five books at hand and didn't have to wait a year or so in between. These books are intense. They mess with your head, play punchball with your heart, shatter it to pieces and patch it together in a new different way. I've changed, at least inside. I was a mess while reading these. I just wanted to stay home all day and night and read. Nothing could keep me away, I forgot to eat and didn't sleep.
I rushed through these series, constantly hoping to find a save place in the pages, so I could stop and take a break. But it's not possible to rest, you are always on the run, always being challenged, the game is constantly changing. There's no time to take a deep breath, no way to stop until it ends. For me the books are no stand-alone books, they have to be read all at once :), there's no conclusion (for now) until the last page of the last book.
Check it out if I haven't already read this series, if you're after something totally different, something that catches you and never ever releases you again. I've caught the fever and there's no cure!

    ______________________________________________

After having read the Fever-series I had some difficulties starting new books, firstly I had to start living again (after having put it on hold while reading) and secondly all the books just felt 'meehhh', bland, boring after these books. So it took a while until I found a good book again. Something totally different from the Fever-series, something totally different from all the books I've read lately.

                                                                           
 
Please Don't Stop the Music by Jane Lovering




How much can you hide? Jemima Hutton is determined to build a successful new life and keep her past a dark secret. Trouble is, her jewellery business looks set to fail - until enigmatic Ben Davies offers to stock her handmade belt buckles in his guitar shop and things start looking up, on all fronts. But Ben has secrets too. When Jemima finds out he used to be the front man of hugely successful Indie rock band Willow Down, she wants to know more. Why did he desert the band on their US tour? Why is he now a semi-recluse? And the curiosity is mutual - which means that her own secret is no longer safe ...


I was looking for some fluffy chick-lit. Something easy to read, something feel-good, something different from my dreary research, something with no vampires, angels, were-wolves and other paranormal creatures. Something that's not dark, troubled and emo. Well, I can say that Please Don't Stop the Music hasn't any paranormal creatures inside its pages. Fluffy, cheerful and feel-good? Well, I was sobbing through half of it. When I reached the last word I first had to dry my tears before I could do anything else. I don't know why this book affected me so much, why it sent me on an emotional roller-coaster. But it did. Somehow it resonated deeply within me, it twisted my heart. I loved this book. The writing is wonderful. It's funny and hilarious but also sad, there's a story behind it. But oh the writing, it did something with me. Its excellent, the words affected me.



So, these are my February Favourites.
I'll be back on Sunday with an other In My Mailbox ( I'll be going back to Sweden soon and hopefully there will be some new books waiting there for me). Next week I hope to be back with some minor changes, full of energy and new stuff to write about (one can always hope). (If you have a wish or some suggestions please let me know - through email or comments). 
In other news, I've purchased a kindle a few days ago (as a birthday-present to myself) so I'll be able to read even more in the future, yay :)
Happy March! Happy Reading!

1 comment :

  1. The Fever series...best series ever. I'll have to check out the other book you liked. And 13 books is not so bad. Actually, it's rather great!

    ReplyDelete