31 August 2011

Romance Retreat: Only Yours by Susan Mallery

Book Review: Only Yours by Susan Mallery


Only Yours - Susan Mallery

Man’s best…matchmaker?

Montana Hendrix has found her calling—working with therapy dogs. With a career she loves in a hometown she adores, she’s finally ready to look for her own happily ever after. Could one of her dogs help her find Mr. Right…or maybe Dr. Right?

Surgeon Simon Bradley prefers the sterility of the hospital to the messiness of real life, especially when real life includes an accident-prone mutt and a woman whose kisses make him want what he knows he can’t have.

Scarred since childhood, he avoids emotional entanglement by moving from place to place to heal children who need his skillful touch. Can his growing feelings for Montana lead him to find a home in Fool’s Gold, or will he walk away, taking her broken heart with him?

Why did I read this book?
As I've already explained in my previous Romance Retreat post, I like to read at least one book a month in this genre and Susan Mallery is a favourite author of mine in this genre. Only Yours is the fifth book in her Fool's Gold series (the 2nd in the Hendrix triplets mini-series) so, naturally I had to pick it up.
I got this book through Netgalley

The Cover
I haven't seen this cover IRL, only on the e-galley. Not quite sure what to make of it, it looks a bit like late spring, early summer, but the color-combination reminds of Autumn. But it looks like a feel-good novel, which it is. The only thing missing is the dog!!!
 
My Thoughts
Some of you may remember that I wasn't a big fan of  Only Mine as I stated in my review, but I immediately dove into this one after finishing Only Mine. For me the difference between book #4 and this one was like Day and Night. I simply adored this book. Simon is such an interesting and troubled hero, I love his scars and his self-sacrifice, his loneliness. Montana on the other hand feels like a fresh breeze. I felt a connection with her that I didn't with Dakota. Maybe because we get to know Montana a little bit more in the previous Fool's Gold books than we do Dakota. And the fact that she worked in the library before obviously helps.
What I loved about this book is that it focused more on the main characters, the secondary stories are kept to a minimum and we get to meet the characters from the previous books again. After having read five books about Fool's Gold it's become close to my heart. I love reading about that town, it feels like a know every inhabitant, every street, all the corners and moods of this town. The parts that are set in the hospital in this story are heartbreaking and wonderfully written. The chemistry between Simon and Montana is perfect, as easy as that.

My only problem with Only Yours is a personal one. I'm scared of dogs. That's all.

Final Words
If you are looking for a feel-good novel, sparkling chemistry, scarred hero and cute dogs this is the book for you.

No comments :

Post a Comment